[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Proposal: Server Managed Print Templates

Bill Erickson berickxx at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 16:54:37 EDT 2019

On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 4:23 PM Benjamin Kalish <bkalish at forbeslibrary.org>
wrote:

> As someone who knows almost nothing about the implementation, but uses the
> software, I just want to say how much I like flexibility and ease of use of
> the current system that lets me use HTML, CSS, and javascript in the
> templates. The fact that these basic web development skills are just what I
> need for templates, and that I can include code to manipulate strings or do
> calculations in the templates, is great. I hope that whatever
> implementation we use, it continues to offer this power and level of
> familiarity.

Hi Benjamin,

Dynamic content (variables, loops, etc.) would be processed with Template
Toolkit.  It's conceptually similar to AngularJS template processing, but
with a different syntax (and it happens on the server instead of the
browser).

The templates themselves will generally be HTML or plain text and you can
put whatever you like in the HTML (CSS, images, script, etc.).  However,
the idea is you shouldn't need script since all the data handling can be
done with TemplateToolkit.

-b