[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Native browser date / time selectors in Angular?

Bill Erickson berickxx at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 13:39:13 EDT 2019

Hi All,

For a long time, Firefox didn't support date and time <inputs/> -- no
calendar widget, no controls, etc.  Because of this, we have traditionally
relied on the date / time pickers provided by the toolkit (ng-bootstrap in
Angular).

However, Firefox does now support date [1], time [2], and datetime-local
[3] input types, as does Chrome.  Date selectors provide calendar widgets,
all variations provide 'clear' actions, increment/decrement actions
(buttons and arrow key), input validation, and manual entry w/ support for
automatically jumping to the next field once a value part is entered (e.g.
hours => minutes).

It looks like they do everything we need, but I could be overlooking
something...

Is there any value in continuing to use the ng-bootstrap widgets for date
and time selectors?  Thoughts on migrating to native browser widgets?

-b

[1] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/input/date
[2] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/input/time
[3]