[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Looking for a way to upgrade my EG 3.0 installation in less than 8 hours

Ken Cox kenstir at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 13:29:02 EST 2019

Perhaps I am exaggerating, but maybe just barely.

I have EG 3.0-ish installed with evergreen-ansible-installer on
ubuntu-16.04.  I want to upgrade it to 3.1 and then to 3.2 so that I
can test the fixes for the iOS app crashes (due to IDL changes, see
other thread).  After many hours of trying, I still don't have a
working server.

I have tried various approaches to upgrading this installation, with
very limited success.  Things I tried:

1. Rerunning evergreen-ansible-installer.  This seemed to break
several things, including my existing user accounts, my certificates,
and the websockets configuration.

2. Running a subset of the evergreen-ansible-installer modeled on the
instructions in
http://docs.evergreen-ils.org/3.1/_upgrading_the_evergreen_server.html.
Things here seemed to work fine, I was able to upgrade to 3.1.9.  Then
I ran the upgrade SQL scripts per
http://docs.evergreen-ils.org/3.1/_upgrade_the_evergreen_database_schema.html.

3. When I tried to upgrade from 3.1.9 to 3.2.3, things went south.
Compiling from source went OK and eg_db_config worked, but then I
couldn't login as my existing user and admin accounts.  I figured I
need to run the upgrade SQL scripts, but here things went poorly.
This part of the upgrade process is confusing because of the fuzziness
in the upgrade documentation: "Only upgrade as far as necessary to
reach the major version upgrade script".   But there is no
3.1.9-to-3.2.0 script, so I tried the 3.1.5-3.2.0-upgrade-db.sql and
every successive one.  Many failed immediately with something like

    psql:version-upgrade/3.2.1-3.2.2-upgrade-db.sql:6: ERROR:
duplicate key value violates unique constraint "upgrade_log_pkey"
    DETAIL:  Key (version)=(1134) already exists.

So it would seem the patch was already applied.  But later updates
failed due to missing tables, e.g.

    psql:version-upgrade/3.2.2-3.2.3-upgrade-db.sql:10: ERROR:
relation "vandelay.session_tracker" does not exist

How do you manage upgrading?  Any help appreciated.

--
-Ken