[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Looking for a way to upgrade my EG 3.0 installation in less than 8 hours

Jason Stephenson jason at sigio.com
Mon Feb 25 11:33:26 EST 2019

On 2/24/19 1:29 PM, Ken Cox wrote:
> How do you manage upgrading?  Any help appreciated.

Number one: I use git, not the tarballs.  We have customizations that we
track in git, so I merge all of those branches together with the target
release.  I typically use the rel_* series branch and not the
tags/rel_X_Y_Z branch.  I grab it right around the time that the release
tarball is made, and sometimes checkout a specific commit hash if
something has been added later.

Number two: I make my own custom upgrade scripts with this shell script.

https://pastebin.com/KQGFPGGV

Number three: I test, test, test, and retest until it works.  The db
upgrade script invariably requires tweaks.  It can take days to get it
right, including test database reloads, etc.  For this I have a test
database server with tons of disk space, and I have virtual machines
that can communicate with that db server.  If your database is smaller
than ours (525 GB), you might be able to get away with doing it all on a
single virtual machine.

Your other option is to following the expectation and only upgrade on a
given release to a point where the "official" upgrade script starts,
i.e. 3.1.5 in this case.  Otherwise, you have to make your own upgrade
script and bang on it until it works.

HtH,
Jason