[OPEN-ILS-DEV] i18n in Angular client

Jane Sandberg sandbej at linnbenton.edu
Sat Jan 19 16:37:28 EST 2019

Hi all (especially Bill, Eva, and Ben),

I'm trying to familiarize myself with the i18n process in the new
Angular code, and wanted to check my understanding.  I can generate a
new translation file using Bill's instructions here [1].  I'm just a
bit unclear about how to proceed from there.

Here are my three questions:

1) After I've added a few translations to messages.fr-CA.xlf, I could
commit that and it would live inside the git repository, right?  Would
I need to commit messages.xlf as well, or just messages.fr-CA.xlf?

2) I noticed that, after the xliff files are first generated, all the
<target>s have the state of "new".  It looks like there are several
possible states [2].  I'm assuming that in most cases, after replacing
the target with a translation, we would change the state to
"translated"?  Or "final"?  What is the best practice?  It does seem
desirable to maintain some distinction between targets that have
actually been translated, and targets that are waiting for
translation.

3) These xliff files seem like they will get really huge really
quickly.  Is there a way to split these files into more manageable
pieces, and if so, would that be desirable?

I know that the ultimate goal is to get an installation of Pootle
going for the community, so these questions might be moot soon.
Regardless, thanks very much for your help in the meantime.

Thanks,

   -Jane

[1] https://github.com/evergreen-library-system/Evergreen/blob/master/Open-ILS/src/eg2/CHEAT_SHEET.adoc#optional-adding-a-locale
[2] https://docs.oasis-open.org/xliff/v1.2/os/xliff-core.html#state