[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Thoughts on Evergreen 3.6

Galen Charlton gmc at equinoxinitiative.org
Thu Jun 18 12:52:23 EDT 2020

Hi,

Now that Evergreen 3.5.0 is nearly out the door, I have some thoughts on
planning for 3.6.

First, I suggest that we plan on a general release in October, though
perhaps more like the middle of the month rather than than the beginning of
it. Doing so would allow us to keep to a twice-a-year tempo and not lose
momentum like we might if we skipped the fall release entirely this year.
Pushing general release into November or December would run into the winter
holidays.

An October release would of course mean a shorter cycle, but I think we can
actually work that to our advantage by having the focus of 3.6 be catching
up with the backlog of pull requests, particularly ones implementing new
features.  At the moment, there are 52 pull requests that are signed off
and 155 that are not signed off; a release that did nothing but merge a
good chunk of these would nonetheless be a featureful one indeed.

I'm not suggesting that 3.6 be just about the backlog; I know that Bill is
suggesting that the Angular catalog become the default and that Equinox is
planning on putting out big branches for the Angular acquisitions work over
the next few weeks. However, an emphasis on reducing the backlog would both
tidying up the bug list and deal with the fact that some features have been
waiting months or years for review and merging.

What do folks think? And are there people interested in proposing to become
RM or co-RM for this cycle?

Regards,

Galen
--