[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] ***SPAM*** Drupal support update

web gurl georgiawebgurl at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 14:36:11 EDT 2009

Drupal also has the ability to build hierarchical navigational structures,
taxonomies, and table of contents.

I'm not anti-wiki, but having used both a wiki (and yes, even Twiki for a
short while) and Drupal, I don't see that a wiki is the only answer. There
are also other document management choices out there which are even more
tailored to document management than either a wiki or Drupal (knowledgeTree,
epiware, opendocman and kbpublisher, come to mind) . As long as it generates
a RSS, it can be pulled into a Drupal website and embedded into individual
pages. A user never even needs to know that the content is being pulled from
a different source. ;-)

Out of the box, a wiki might be a better choice, but then there is the
question of migration and crosswalkability content. I know when my library
tried to move from Twiki to MediaWiki (which is what drives Wikipedia), we
ended up copying and pasting all of the content in. Possibly a problem on
the systems side, but no fun for those involved.

So, I'm not necessarily voting for Drupal, but I'm willing to consider how
it could be use with DocBook.  ;-)

All, I'm attaching just some very brief thoughts and map on a sample  EG
page "Drupalized". With Drupal, there are many ways of pulling together
content and information. As Roma's library does, a site can be a hybrid with
Drupal driving the site and another software driving the documentation
storage.

There are a few advantages to 1 product. Overall site migration and
maintenance are generally easier (one product) and one product = 1 login.
However, that is not to say that bridges can't be created between Drupal and
other software to facilitate the one login. Drupal does do some things well,
but its image gallery module is woefully lacking compared to other
opensource products (Gallery, Coppermine, etc.).  So, Drupal may or may not
be robust enough.

Anyhow, I'm just looked at the EG site with the Drupal mindset (for now).
;-)

Robin