[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Suggested main DIG page reorg

Karen Schneider kgs at esilibrary.com
Mon Aug 10 13:42:55 EDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 1:18 PM, Paul J. Weiss <paul at paulweiss.info> wrote:

>  I definitely like the drastic reduction of DIG's home page! It will be
> more inviting, less overwhelming, and easier to find what you want.
>
> *content
> *What content would go where for Work of the DIG vs. Short-range Goals?

That will come out in due time, Grasshopper. :-) Ommmm... Seriously, that
seemed like it would come out in the wash (as in, the writing process), and
of course, be movable. Since the group is generally affirmative of these
changes, I'll keep on working (with Steve's suggested changes) and start to
break stuff out.

> We need to put the facilitators somewhere, and probably not just on the
> contact page.

Looking at other projects, I think keeping the facilitators' names on the
contact page (maybe at the top) versus on the main page is really ok, and
emphasizes the idea that this is a community project where all voices are
valued -- the email link is there, of course, in terms of being able to
contact us.

I think that the current second paragraph (rationale) should be kept, either
> at the home page or incorporated into Mission and Scope.

It could easily go into Mission and Scope -- it just felt like way too much
text for the main page, particularly since the paragraph above it makes it
clear what the group is doing. It's not that it isn't a good thing to say,
but I'm not sure that the splash page is the place to say it.

> I'm thinking info on the next meeting should be duplicated on the home
> page. That might get more people to attend, and it is an easy way for page
> visitors to see that we are an active group.

that sounds like a good addition -- maybe in a box. If the page is very lean
and mean, then it would really stand out.

Great input!

Karen