[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] browser usage breakdown

web gurl georgiawebgurl at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 13:27:00 EDT 2009

Not to get back into PNG topic too much because I think the image formats
question has already been resolved by the style group ;-) but lots of web
users (including libraries) have  not upgraded to IE7 (or even 8).

W3C reports for July 2009
IE7 15.9%
IE6 14.4%
IE8 9.1%
Firefox 47.9%
Chrome 6.5%
Safari 3.3%
Opera 2.1%

These numbers more or less mirror what I've been hearing/reading in addition
to the site stats for which I have access. 14.4% seems small (and it is
shrinking) but that could still be a lot of visitors.

from:

I don't think legacy software should CONTROL design, but one part of design
is how it will render across a variety of platforms. ;-)  So, that is the
only reason I mentioned the IE6 workaround as well as the potential PNG
transparency problem.

I confess -- I am not an IE user unless you can count the few times I check
a website for potential design issues in IE6 ( and 7). Yeah, I do know
better than to believe that "support" or "compatibility" always mean what I
think they should -- LOL (I've had to search for too many hacks, codecs,
workarounds, and mods in my life...)

IE8 seems to be a step in the right direction, but it's hard to know ... and
then there is Chrome, Google's baby -- no telling if that will catch fire.

happy Saturday. ;-)

http://contentdivergent.blogspot.com