[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Evergreen Documentation Volunteers Wanted: Writing/Revision

Karen Schneider kgs at esilibrary.com
Mon Aug 31 16:27:24 EDT 2009

At the August 26, 2009 meeting of the Evergreen Documentation Interest
Group, based on the outcomes of our needs assessment survey, we (the DIG)
agreed that the first priorities for centralized Evergreen documentation
 were these topics (with known "local" documents noted next to each
category):

* Reports (PINEs, Sitka, Michigan have guides)
* Installation, Migration, Upgrading (a small amount of material on
DokuWiki)
* Cataloging (Indiana has extensive guides, Sitka and Michigan also have
some materials)
* Circulation (Indiana, Sitka, Michigan)

We will base our work as much as possible on version 1.6 (with the
understanding that we'll get started with what we have until 1.6 is cut and
we can review its release notes).

We have some loose ends we are tying up--for example, Catherine Lemmer is
working on an intellectual property statement, and Karen S. is pushing
through the styleguide as fast as she can go--but as a group, we are ready
to take this step. Thanks to everyone who helped us get to this point!

We are now looking for people to help produce the documentation. If you are
able to commit some time over the next three months, email the DIG at
docs at evergreen-ils.org.

We'd like to hear from you by Wednesday, September 9, after which we'll
start forming groups and getting to work. But don't worry if you miss that
date.  There's plenty of work to go around, and we'd love your help whenever
you can offer it.

The roles that are available are:

* Writing -- producing the documentation ("from scratch," and/or revised
from existing materials).
We're open to receiving content in any formats, such as Word or Open Office,
but of course, we'd be delighted if you produced it in DocBook XML!

* Testing -- comparing the documents with the functions they describe

* XML conversion -- for files that are not already in XML

* Editorial review -- for ensuring the documentation is clear and follows
Evergreen DIG styleguide conventions

* CSS Design -- for making the pages more attractive and user-ful

* XML Transform and Committers -- the group that converts the files to HTML
and PDF, makes permanent changes, and uploads the files

Onward and upward!