[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] thinking ahead--using the demo server?

Karen Schneider kgs at esilibrary.com
Wed Jul 1 17:46:16 EDT 2009

> I haven't used the demo server in a long time, so I'm not sure what it's
> like. However, I assume it's got all the bells and whistles turned on, and
> that it's set up to show the maximum amount of flexiblility and
> functionality in Evergreen.

Assuming you mean demo.gapines.org , one thing to note is that it is
running 1.2.4. while dev.gapines.org is running a flavor of 1.4. They
don't have anything turned off or disabled (that I know of!).

In terms of assumptions, one advantage the "demo" server has over
"dev" is its splash page, which makes it clear what version it is
running. Our documentation does need to be tied into releases -- that
will be really important -- so it stands to reason that the
environment we use for documentation needs to be clearly identifiable
to our community (in terms of release and configuration). There is a
tool that is useful for identifying Evergreen versions but labeling
our demo/dev environments very clearly is still a good idea.

Questions about demo/dev servers and their role in documentation have
actually come up in two other conversations today, so your point is
very well-taken. It may not be addressable at this point in time but
it is certainly a very good point to make. :-)