[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] thinking ahead--using the demo server?

Tara Robertson information.detective at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 17:25:39 EDT 2009

Hi,

Hope everyone's having a great summer--BBQs, cold beer, swimming, and fresh
strawberries. It's the middle of winter here in New Zealand and it's cold,
but sunny.

As I work through the awesome documentation manual that Michigan has put
together for the environmental scan of existing documentation, I can see how
their operating policies are different from SITKA's, and how their use of
the software reflects that. I imagine that each installation of Evergreen is
slight to quite different. I remember from when I worked at SITKA that one
of the big issues we had at the beginning was understanding the specific
permissions structure, and rejigging it to work to work for how libraries in
BC are used to operating. I assume that the single planting installations
have tweaked some things to work in a different way than a consortial
planting might.

I haven't used the demo server in a long time, so I'm not sure what it's
like. However, I assume it's got all the bells and whistles turned on, and
that it's set up to show the maximum amount of flexiblility and
functionality in Evergreen.

Perhaps this is something that needs to be an agenda item in a few meetings
from now, or parked for awhile longer.

Cheers,
Tara