[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] introducing ourselves

Karen Collier kcollier at kent.lib.md.us
Mon Jun 8 11:12:15 EDT 2009

Hi. Karen Collier here.

I am Public Services Librarian and Webmaster to my itty bitty public library in Maryland, which has been running Evergreen for 1 year as of last Thursday. (That's Kent County Public Library - the same library as cataloger Andrea if you're keeping score.) My functional job description involves my boss reading about something cool libraries can do with a new technology and asking me to make it happen, preferably free of charge. Consequently, I have great appreciation for well written documentation.

On another note, I am a big fan of Evergreen and hope to see it more widely adopted, particularly in my own state of Maryland. My not-entirely-altruistic motivation is that I'd like to see a resource-sharing consortium form around a shared Evergreen catalog in which my library could participate. I think that improving documentation will be a big step toward wider adoption, and I am excited to be a part of that effort.

I have a bachelor's degree from Case Western Reserve University in English (useful) and Biology (less useful), and a Master's in Library Science from University of Maryland. As for experience writing documentation, I've written some for Evergreen's documentation wiki. The next closest thing in terms of documentation experience would be the "Internet Tutorial" I put together for my library's patrons that doubled as a class project toward my MLS. http://www.kent.lib.md.us/Tutorial/ I have not used DocBook before, but I've been working on familiarizing myself with it, and it looks more and more like a great choice for this project. One personal quirk is that I am a very picky writer with a tendency to overthink the best way to say something. I'm thinking this will come in handy for writing documentation.

I'm happy to help however I can - writing, editing, revising, organizing, converting to DocBook, or whatever else may be needed.

Karen

--
Karen Collier
Public Services Librarian