[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Evergreen documentation issues

Lourie, Margaret lourie at nelinet.net
Mon May 4 16:20:20 EDT 2009

I am not advocating Drupal but wondered if it might be suitable. I don't
know of any Drupal uses for documentation but will ask around. I agree
that it is important to be able to tie documentation to releases so you
get the right information for your release, so that is one thing that
makes the whole endeavor more complicated.

Interesting idea to have an easy input tool that then allows for
conversion to a more functional system. Sounds like it might be a good
way to go.

I also agree that ease alone does not make people create content. There
has to be a commitment to doing it, but the harder it is to do and the
more time it takes the less likely that the content will get created.

Maybe if we all come up with ideas for what we need the documentation to
do that might point us towards the most useful tool. A few things that
come to mind right away are web-based, be able to clearly relate/scope
to a particular Evergreen version, and easy to input and easy to find
what you are looking for. Is it possible to code documentation sections
to a version so that you could scope your search to only the version
that you want?

I am not a documentation expert (as I have already revealed) but am glad
to participate in finding our way to having good, useful documentation.

Margaret

Margaret Lourie
Consultant, Technical Services
NELINET, Inc.