[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Quote about DocBook

Anton Chuppin chuppiav at gov.ns.ca
Fri May 15 08:47:25 EDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-15 at 08:10 -0400, Karen Schneider wrote:
> "The reason why DocBook is the tool of choice is because it gets the
> job done and everything else is worse.

Among all the tools that have been mentioned here, DocBook is the only
one that was designed and built specifically for the purpose of writing,
manipulating and publishing documentation. Everything else is either a
multipurpose bag of tools (like Drupal) or a very general-purpose
software (like wikis).

It seems that we are somewhat reluctant to bite the bullet and accept
DocBook as our official documentation tool on the grounds of it being
'complex' and 'user unfriendly'. But as long as we keep in mind that the
processes of generating content and producing documentation are
different, the 'complexity' and 'stiff learning curve' argument should
not matter.

The community can generate the documentation content in any tool as long
as the output can be easily converted into plain text. Only at the stage
of the official documentation production DocBook will become the tool of
choice.

Anton