[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] For Discussion: Documentation Outline

Karen Collier kcollier at kent.lib.md.us
Mon Oct 19 16:15:06 EDT 2009

There have been several possible outlines proposed by various people at various times, for how the DIG Project's Book(s) should be organized.  I'm aware of these three (linked below) already out there, I have some alternative ideas of my own, and I'm sure in a group with as many librarians as this group has there must be quite a few more opinions on the proper way to classify/organize the work we're working on.  :)

http://list.georgialibraries.org/pipermail/open-ils-documentation/2009-May/000159.html

http://evergreen-ils.org/downloads/styleguide.inprocessdraft.091009.html#d0e245

http://open-ils.org/~denials/testbook.html

So, before we get too deeply involved in the writing, it makes sense to me to devote some time to fleshing out and agreeing on an outline for our book(s) - not to suggest that the result will be written in stone, only a starting point.  Maybe I've had outlining too deeply ingrained in me over 19 years of formal schooling, but it seems to me to be the best way to make sure we don't overlook any important topics or duplicate effort as we each work on our own sections.  It could also help to give the work a more cohesive flow despite having numerous authors.  Once we've got a more thorough outline to go on, it should be easier for authors to pick, write, and submit a small chunk of documentation at a time.

I'm thinking the most effective method may be to have those most interested in this volunteer to work together to create one or a couple of proposed outlines to present to the DIG community as a whole for feedback.  Once we have a broad outline of books/parts/chapters/sections, individuals and small groups of volunteers may want to read up on and experiment with the content for a given part/chapter and sanity check the chapter/section/subsection divisions to see if there's anything missing or that should be categorized or organized differently.

Am I overthinking this?  Any alternative ideas for how to handle the structure of our book(s)?  Any volunteers to work on outlining?

As always, write to the list at open-ils-documentation at list.georgialibraries.org, the co-facilitators at docs at evergreen-ils.org, or bring your ideas to Wednesday's meeting.  And if you haven't already, don't forget to register!

Thanks,
Karen

--
Karen Collier