[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] XML Style Guide -- files in repository

Karen Schneider kgs at esilibrary.com
Wed Sep 9 20:14:59 EDT 2009

Hi folks, for those who want to review the styleguide in progress, I put the
XML in the public repository and also uploaded the files as a zipped package
(given that we're in a transitional stage where almost none of you can work
easily with the repo).

The repository:
http://svn.open-ils.org/trac/ILS/browser/trunk/docs/1.6/styleguide

The files zipped: http://evergreen-ils.org/downloads/styleguide.zip

This is VERY rough, VERY incomplete, and one section on authoring is not
even tagged all the way through -- I pulled it from the wiki. I also do not
warranty that the sections are in any sensible order. :-) That at least is
extremely easy to address (by reordering the files in styleguide.xml). Also,
some of the files haven't been seriously scrutinized from the original
styleguide they came from, which will be evident. But it is a start, and as
a writer I am convinced that the best way to get the styleguide written,
once we have drafted the most critical components, is to step on the gas and
drive. We don't have so many authors at present that this would be hard.

If you have some DocBook experience, I have had particular issues with
olinks and glossaries (particularly building an automated glossary, per
Stayton's DocBook XSL guide, chapter 17; it seems easy enough, but I just
haven't stepped through the process enough to really wrap my head around it,
particularly in a distributed environment). I also think the section on
images should include images. :-)

If any of you revise any of the XML files and would like me to upload them,
when I am back next Wednesday I would be most delighted to review and
validate them and put them online!

thanks again for all your great work --