[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Introduction and documentation request

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Mon Sep 21 10:21:28 EDT 2009

Hi, documenters!

I run Equinox's migrations team, and in the course of helping
libraries implement Evergreen, we often run into areas where the
documentation could be improved, or in some cases, created.  From time
to time I'll email this list about these areas in case any DIGers are
looking for a specific area to write documentation for.  The
migrations team will also be contributing documentation.

To get started, this weekend a librarian emailed me about setting up
organizational unit settings (under Local System Administration).  She
had asked why the default values for the various settings weren't
being displayed, and I explained that a setting doesn't have a
specific value until you actually set it.  However, it occurs to me
that there's a documentation gap: if a setting isn't set to a specific
value, how does the corresponding bit of functionality behave?  In
most cases, it presumably acts as if the setting were blank, false, or
zero depending on the specific setting, but I can easily imagine that
there might be cases where the default behavior isn't so neatly
predictable.

Regards,

Galen
--