[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Introduction and documentation request

Karen Schneider kgs at esilibrary.com
Mon Sep 21 11:46:49 EDT 2009

> To get started, this weekend a librarian emailed me about setting up
> organizational unit settings (under Local System Administration).  She
> had asked why [a] the default values for the various settings weren't
> being displayed, and I explained that a setting doesn't have a
> specific value until you actually set it.  However, it occurs to me
> that there's a documentation gap:[b]  if a setting isn't set to a specific
> value, how does the corresponding bit of functionality behave?  In
> most cases, it presumably acts as if the setting were blank, false, or
> zero depending on the specific setting, but I can easily imagine that
> there might be cases where the default behavior isn't so neatly
> predictable.

[a] Actually, this is a case where documenting something surfaces
interesting issues, because in June I had this  question myself. I
interpreted the blank OU settings as a bug, not a feature, and reported it,
only to be told that's how it worked.

[b] Obviously, that's not the only gap!

We currently don't  have anyone signed up specifically for documenting LSA.
However, one advantage to our planned workflow and to using DocBook XML is
we can document in small sections. Since we have two known
questions/requests about this function (if you include me--make that 3, with
Galen) how about I tackle that today and tomorrow?