[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Need for solid foundation in Linux commands Re: Where to put reviewers notes .. Re: Evergreen DIG Test Server Available

Roma Matott rmatott at pls-net.org
Thu Sep 24 15:34:28 EDT 2009

So, what skills make up an average technical skill level?  Here are the things I needed to know how to do in order to install/upgrade:

copy/backup files
shutdown/startup various services
change ownership/group of files/directories
create users
edit files and save
find and install missing modules
read logfiles and troubleshoot errors

I think most of these are basic except the find and install missing modules.

I also think it would be helpful to just have a basic explanation of what the various pieces (opensrf, ejabberd, memcached, postgres, etc) do and how they interact.  Sort of like an Evergreen technical primer for those just starting.  I know when I first tried to install I had no idea what all of these pieces did.  I learned it (and am still learning it) through trial and error (mostly error - lol).

Roma
PLS