[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Documentation Hackfest & Going Forward

Jason Etheridge jason at esilibrary.com
Wed Apr 28 09:40:37 EDT 2010

> There is a subversion (SVN) repository for documentation currently at:
> http://svn.open-ils.org/trac/ILS/browser/trunk/docs/1.6.
>
> This seemed to be the intended repository folder for the Book of Evergreen at some point based on the existence of sample documents on that folder. However, I am not aware of any DIG people who currently have commit access to that repository. If that is the final destination for the documentation either someone on the DIG needs commit access to that repository or all documents will have to be committed by someone with access to that repository.

Hi guys, I don't believe it'd be a problem to grant commit access to
the Subversion repository to whichever people the DIG community
designates.  One advantage to putting documentation into the same
source tree as Evergreen is that it automatically ties the Evergreen
version with the documentation version.  If we cut a bug-fix release
for an older stable branch, its bundled documentation won't include
features that it doesn't have, etc.  I believe this was discussed in
the past but I can't find reference to it at the moment.

Something else worth pointing out is that in trunk, the staff client
has a context sensitive help widget now, based mostly on the URL of
the interface containing the widget.  See
http://svn.open-ils.org/trac/ILS/changeset/16228

To keep documentation all in one place, we may want to change where
that help widget looks for its content, or we could use indirection
and the help files that it loads could reference content from a more
centralized location.  The help widget is another good reason to have
at least the context sensitive documentation in the same repository.

--
Jason Etheridge
 | VP, Tactical Development
 | phone:  1-877-OPEN-ILS (673-6457)
 | email:  jason at esilibrary.com
 | web:  http://www.esilibrary.com

Please join us for the Evergreen 2010 International Conference!
It is being held April 20 - 23, 2010 at the Amway Grand Hotel and
Convention Center, Grand Rapids, Michigan.
http://www.evergreen2010.org/