[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Circ docs (Re: Introductory Material for the Book of Evergreen)

Soulliere, Robert robert.soulliere at mohawkcollege.ca
Wed Aug 4 12:54:56 EDT 2010

Thanks Steve.

I've been leaving images out of the documents I've been converting for now, and editing accordingly. I will add them later or give other DIG members a chance to add them as needed or desired. You brought up a couple of issues with images which present several challenges to documentation.

1) Issues with sizing for PDF documents -- large enough to read, small enough to fit in the limited width of the page. We can probably set some definitive parameters for image size, but some of the images in the word docs we are converting may be too large for PDF files. I would either leave them out or create new screen shots if possible and necessary.

2) Translations -- It creates more work to translate since translations of the documentation will need screen shots in their language.

3) Updates and customizations -- Evergreen provides a couple of skins out of the box with very different looks.  Folks can customize their skins so the screen shots may look very foreign for those using the alternative skins. Moreover, the standard skins will change over time. It will be much easier to update the documentation for later versions of Evergreen with minimal screen shots.

If the image is specific to an organization and not the default out-of-the-box Evergreen version, I would leave it out. You could either use a text alternative like you suggested in some cases,  add a placeholder of some kind to add image later, or replace if you think it is critical.

Personally, I am a screen shot minimalist given the challenges above. If text can be a adequate alternative and screen shots are not required, I would use text. Of course, this has lots to do with learning styles and there may be differing opinions on this topic. Moreover,  some images are truly essential to the content.

Thanks,
Robert