[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] newbie documentation involvement - want to help the DIG page become more user friendly to newbies

Cheryl Gould cheryl.gould at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 19:07:10 EDT 2010

Hello Diggers,

I just caught up on 3 months of DIG emails.  I have to admit that I
don't understand many of the references to things like
trunk/github/commit/xml in terms of whether I must understand that
stuff to contribute.  Is there someone who can explain in layperson's
terms where to go to be certain one is seeing what is current?

1. Where can I go to see the current table of contents and who has
committed to working on what section?

2. Where can I go to see the work people have already done?

3. Is it an option for someone to commit to a section and write the
help in Word and pass off the Word document to someone who knows what
to do with it so that it is visible to the Evergreen community?  (In
other words, so that it will appear in the place I ask about in
question 2 just above.)

I realize there are links in this section and maybe these ARE the
correct current links.  I'm just wanting to make sure:

Evergreen 1.6 User Guide (in progress)

Book of Evergreen Outline and Assignments
Documentation Licensing Terms
DocBook Repository
HTML Draft
PDF Draft

For others who consider themselves newbies to this realm, part of the
confusion is that on this page
http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=evergreen-docs:dig_participation
   it mentions under the volunteer section that   "If you are able to
commit some time during the remainder of 2009, email the DIG at
docs at evergreen-ils.org. "  Since we're way past that date, it's hard
to know if the rest of the info is current.

If there is someone responsible for the
Evergreen Documentation Interest Group (DIG) page who is up for
working with a newbie to see if we can add some explanatory text here
and there to help people know what's what, I'd like to participate.

Cheryl Gould
Training support to the KCLS grant and Califa Open Source grants in California