[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] newbie documentation involvement - want to help the DIG page become more user friendly to newbies

Soulliere, Robert robert.soulliere at mohawkcollege.ca
Mon Aug 9 20:19:45 EDT 2010

Hi Cheryl,

The starting point to see the general  outline and see who has committed to what:
http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=evergreen-docs:outline

The best place to go to see what has been done at this time is:
http://libdog.mohawkcollege.ca/evergreen_documentation/draft/html/index.html
note: it is never done since there are always revisions and improvements to be made.

> 3. Is it an option for someone to commit to a section and write the
> help in Word and pass off the Word document to someone who knows what
> o do with it so that it is visible to the Evergreen community?  (In
> other words, so that it will appear in the place I ask about in
> question 2 just above.)

Yes, you can contribute work to be done. One thing I would like to suggest is to find a part you want to get into and create/join a team to work on that part so that work is not duplicated. This will make things much more efficient and easier on the people converting to DocBook XML. I also think there are many opportunities for testers and editors etc... to help revise these documents. Textual (Word) revisions or pieces of documents can be submitted to be merged with the XML docs.

> I realize there are links in this section and maybe these ARE the
> correct current links.  I'm just wanting to make sure:

Yes, these are the current links. One tip is to look at the last modified date on the very bottom right of each wiki page. The outline page was "Last modified: 2010/08/09 14:12" for example.

> If there is someone responsible for the
> Evergreen Documentation Interest Group (DIG) page who is up for
> working with a newbie to see if we can add some explanatory text here
> and there to help people know what's what, I'd like to participate.

The wiki can be edited by anyone who requests as docuwiki account and, in essence, the wiki pages are the responsibility of the Evergreen community as a whole and not one person. Officially, you could send an email to the DIG facilitators:
docs at evergreen-ils.org to make the request for a docuwiki account. The docuwiki itself is not in XML but has its own interesting syntax: http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=wiki:syntax. As a  relative newbie to editing the wiki pages, I find the wiki syntax cumbersome, but not difficult.

Regards,
Robert

This E-mail contains privileged and confidential information intended
only for the individual or entity named in the message.  If the reader
of this message is not the intended recipient, or the agent responsible
to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication
is prohibited.  If this communication was received in error, please
notify the sender by reply E-mail immediately, and delete and destroy
the original message.