[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] FW: Server Administration Chapter Sections

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Mon Feb 8 16:06:45 EST 2010

On Mon, 2010-02-08 at 12:01 -0500, Steve Wills wrote:
> DIG et. al.
>

> May I propose an addition to the System Admin information?   How about
> a PostgreSQL introduction and quick reference?
>
> Also, Dan Scott has a great page on his  CoffeCode blog about tuning
> PostgreSQL and setting Shared Memory for best performance.
>

> Dan, may we reprint your thoughts on how to tune PostgreSQL for best
> Evergreen performance?

Hi Steve:

All of my blog content is licensed CC-BY-SA, so have at it. That said,
that tuning advice is badly in need of some updating to reflect what we
have in production; it might be worthwhile as a peek into "things you
should be considering as you move from basic evaluation to getting more
serious" but it would be a bad idea for people to blindly copy those
numbers. It's very dependent on the version of PostgreSQL and hardware
parameters, etc.

Still, with all those caveats, it's better for people to have an idea of
where to begin looking for performance bottlenecks than to blithely
accept the default values (which would be disastrous indeed!)

Dan