[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] A simple sys-admin doc addition.

Soulliere, Robert robert.soulliere at mohawkcollege.ca
Wed Sep 15 13:02:29 EDT 2010

Hi Steve,

The current version of Evergreen being converted to DocBook is 1.6. At this time it is 1.6.0.x since features in 1.6.1 have not been added yet (booking module and auto password reset from OPAC).

I did have a question as to whether we wanted to separate 1.6.0 and 1.6.1 into 2 versions of the documentation or keep them in the same manual  version with notes regarding features specific to 1.6.1? I am not quite sure about the implications of doing it either way in regards to merging changes to these documents across branches in the repository.

In regards to reorganizing the wiki pages, here is my understanding or assumptions:

1) One of the goals of the DocBook documentation project was to make our documentation nicely organized based on version (like the PostgreSQL documentation).

2) Docbook makes this easier to do this by being able to maintain several distinct documentation manuals and being able to publish the same content  in multiple formats (HTML, PDF, etc).

3) The DocBook documentation will eventually replace most wiki based documentation. (at least for documentation which exists in the documentation) Wiki should be used for fresh content not yet converted to DocBook and  old content not found in documentation (e.g documentation for 1.4)
(may be some question about supported versions and unsupported versions).

 In short, I would prefer to invest more time in getting the DocBook documentation completed and improved and not invest time in reorganizing the wiki content. When the DocBook documentation is up to speed, I am hoping that more people will use it as apposed to the wiki.

We do need ways to keep the DocBook documentation up to the rapid pace of software development. That may be the biggest challenge.

Robert