[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Staff client help menu and files

Jason Etheridge jason at esilibrary.com
Mon Sep 27 10:41:16 EDT 2010

> While pointing at docs.evergreen-ils.org will be useful during
> development, we'll probably want to point to a local copy of the help in
> the actual implementation, right? This would allow for local
> modifications & avoid possible exploits if Somebody Evil(TM) were to
> gain access to docs.evergreen-ils.org and inject their own executable
> content into the help.

I think if we want to provide access to a remote host for
documentation, we can make it a setting somewhere.  So maybe stock
Evergreen would point to localhost (and a copy of the documentation
could be bundled into the tarball).  And then maybe system
administrations might be will to update just their documentation
occasionally by pulling a copy from docs.evergreen-ils.org.
Documentation developers might would want to change the setting to
point directly to docs.evergreen-ils.org

> To avoid having to modify every staff client help file, right now we're
> talking about ~125 XUL files and ~125 TT2 files.  Is there any
> possibility of defining all of the mappings in a single file - would
> including an array of 250 elements in something like g.data.help_map[]
> be too much bloat?

Compiling a map of source file to pertinent interface might also be
helpful for new developers.  I'm game for a feature like this.  All
these options can be tested before the behavior there now.  Step 1)
Check for custom UI->doc URL map? 2) Check for stock UI->doc URL map?
3) Check for UI specified file 4) check for custom local file derived
from source filename 5) check for stock local file derived from source
file 6) start walking up the directories looking for custom and stock
local files

> (Implicit assumption: this help mechanism works for TT2 pages).

Any page embedded in the staff client will have its location.href
looked at for the Help -> Current Tab function, including OPAC,
acquisitions, Conify, etc.

--
Jason Etheridge