[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Equinox license to DIG

Jason Etheridge jason at esilibrary.com
Wed Dec 14 12:24:24 EST 2011

<snip>
> If, however, the DIG can be the recipient of a license exception, then
> given that the DIG membership is consituted of anyone who adds
> themselves to
> http://www.evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=evergreen-docs:digparticipants,
> in theory anyone could add themselves to that list and apply the
> CC-BY-SA license.

However DIG wants to govern itself or not govern itself; but I would
expect for someone on that list to be doing such as a part of DIG,
however it is defined, and not in some other context.

>> So DIG should feel free to use such documents with their normal
>> CC-BY-SA license (with all that implies).
>
> Well, since neither you nor I are lawyers and what we say should not be
> considered to constitute legal advice, I would personally suggest that
> the DIG hold off on redistributing any relicensed documentation derived from
> Equinox's primarily CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 licensed documentaiton until we hear
> back from the SFC (as they do employ a lawyer).

Granting a license isn't legal advice; it's granting a license.  And
intent should matter.  Equinox really does want DIG--as we all
understand DIG--to use this documentation without any strings other
than CC-BY-SA.  But Equinox also wants the NC license in place for
anyone other than DIG who gets the material directly from the website
(as opposed to getting it through DIG).

We'll make it work, even if the lawyer says we need to tweak things.
DIG--you know who you are--please do use the documentation.  But it's
okay to wait too. :)

--
Jason Etheridge