[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] documented developmnt

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Fri Feb 11 15:41:39 EST 2011

Hi Robert,

> One example: could we have documentation fixes submitted like
> code fixes using launchpad or would that create a disaster of
> complexity in launchpad?... So when a developer adds a
> feature, they could at the same time introduce a
> documentation ticket requesting documentation for the
> feature. The an interaction could follow via launchpad and
> the documentation person could work with the developer? Would
> that kind of interaction work as features are developed?

I really like the idea of some sort of mechanism where a developer could
start a documentation ticket for a new feature. I also think this kind of
ticketing system could be useful for non-developers who notice a lack of
documentation in a certain area. For example, somebody might submit a ticket
for holds policies. This could also help the content coordinators keep on
top of what  documentation needs are out there.

> I am also thinking of documentation in its most basic level
> as describing how a tool is used. I believe in starting
> simple and starting with  imperfect documentation and editing
> until it is better. The sooner the imperfect documentation is
> introduced to the community at large the sooner it can be
> improved. This is what I envision open -source development to
> be all about.

Our previous discussion seemed to focus on developers providing this
documentation, but I can also see a role for early testers in creating the
imperfect documentation. In the absence of documentation, I spent quite a
bit of time testing the acquisitions module and writing up notes to share
with my own group to help us understand how to use acquisitions. The notes
really are a result of much fumbling around, and I'm not even sure they
represent the best workflow that could be used, but, judging from some of
the questions I've seen on the list, they probably would have been helpful
to others who were testing acquisitions. However, it would never occur to me
to add them to the dokuwiki, because I think of that documentation as
"official" documentation that has been tried and tested in a live
environment. If we had a place to post imperfect notes, or to possibly tag
documentation as imperfect notes, I might feel more comfortable about
posting them somewhere. As somebody else tests acquisitions and finds a
better way to do something, they could update the documentation with
improved workflows. This not only would lead to better documentation, but
could also turn the whole process into a shared learning experience.

Also, in thinking back to my early testing with serials, before Lebbeous
posted his very helpful documentation on the alternate serials control view,
he had posted an e-mail to the Evergreen list that sketched out the basic
steps needed to get started with serials. These steps weren't as detailed as
the final documentation, but they really were what I needed to get started
in serials. I could see these types of notes from developers also being
posted to this "imperfect notes" area of a dokuwiki. The official
documentation was even more helpful, but, when new features are introduced,
I think most people are happy with whatever sketchy notes they can get.

Kathy
Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator
(508) 756-0172