[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] documented developmnt

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Tue Feb 8 15:50:07 EST 2011

Hi Robert,

Thanks for opening up this discussion. Coming from an organization that has
recently contracted for development, we definitely are willing to commit to
providing documentation for any development we are sponsoring, although our
preference would be to write our own documentation rather than pay somebody
else to do it. My viewpoint is that we have to create that documentation for
our own users, so we might as well contribute it to the community at the
same time.

>  It would seem that these new features would have something
> written somewhere -- even rough notes? Is there an economic
> or contractual  reason why these cannot be shared with the
> general Evergreen community at an earlier stage by either the
> developers of the features, users of the new features or
> trainers for the new features?

I don't see any reason why these can't be shared at various stages of the
project. For example, I wouldn't have a problem with sharing any approved
specs before development begins. However, all organizations are different,
and there may be others that have a reason for not sharing this information
- I can't think what that reason would be off the top of my head.

I don't see a problem with DIG sand others to trongly encourage
organizations that sponsor development to also be responsible for
documentation, but there may be some that, for whatever reason, may not be
able to create documentation or to pay for somebody else to do the
documentation. Despite what Grace just posted about Equinox's new policy,
there may be work done by other developers for which there isn't
documentation.

In these cases, DIG would need to play a role. I'm thinking the new content
coordinator roles would need to include keeping on top of what enhancements
have been added to the system and what needs documentation. However, it
isn't always easy to stay on top of what development is happening. It would
be nice if there were a centralized place where we could see what new
development is in the works - I know the Web team has talked about this at
various times. I know it's long before the point when documentation is
actually required, but it would give documentors an idea of what the
enhancements are that need documenting. Having access to a community server
with the latest release is also a big plus in the effort to create
documentation for any new enhancements.

Kathy Lussier

Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator