[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Evergreen Permissions descriptions/map/matrix documentation?

Lori Bowen Ayre lori.ayre at galecia.com
Thu May 12 15:10:59 EDT 2011

Strongly agree.  And just FYI, this problem is true for Koha as well.  Just
restating the code description doesn't help anyone.  There needs to be
context (what is needed upstream and what does it affect downstream).  Even
if it isn't filled in completely, creating a workflow that asks for that
kind of info would be most useful.

Lori Ayre

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 9:34 AM, Tim Spindler <tjspindler at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think I would generally agree with what you are suggesting.  For one, I
> don't think repeating the code description does anything and I personally
> would find it an enormous help to have more meaningful descriptions.  I also
> think it would be very helpful to have the required for language in there
> and in the appropriate sections of the documentation.  In working on our
> system, I have had to do a bit of sleuth work to identify what permissions
> are need for a given function and I'm still very uncertain if I'm
> understanding some of these correctly.  Therefore, proceeding as you suggest
> would be a big help.
>
> Tim Spindler
> Manager of Library Applications
> C/W MARS
>

> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 10:57 AM, Soulliere, Robert <
> robert.soulliere at mohawkcollege.ca> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> One of the most challenging aspects of Evergreen is working with the
>> complex permissions matrix. In order to alleviate some of the challenges
>> associated with giving the appropriate permissions for groups/users to carry
>> out various tasks. I was thinking about 2 strategies for improving
>> documentation in this area:
>>
>> 1) Update the descriptions located in the permission.prm_list table in the
>> Evergreen database . Then, create a script to generate a docbook table with
>> the updated descriptions.  I would really like some feedback for the best
>> approach for this in regards to the wording of the descriptions. Currently,
>> some of the descriptions repeat the code field (e.g."DELETE_BIB_LEVEL") and
>> in other cases they have descriptions with. "Allow a user to..." or "Enables
>> the user to..." etc... I wonder if it would be useful for these permission
>> descriptions to include "required for ..." with a list of functions actions
>> where the permission is required. Does that sound like a plausible or useful
>> bit on info in the descriptions themselves or would it create a complex
>> situation as permissions are added and the permission structure is adjusted
>> in the future?
>>
>> 2) At the DIG meeting in Decatur someone mentioned creating a list of
>> required permissions fat the beginning of various procedures/sections in the
>> documentation. I thought this was an excellent idea and I think someone
>> might have suggested that they have begun work on a permission matrix. Would
>> anyone be able to share with this DIG list any permission matrix/mapping
>> work they have started or is anyone able to provide some permission
>> information for specific procedures in the documentation?
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Robert
>>

>> Robert Soulliere, BA (Hons), MLIS
>> Systems Librarian
>> Mohawk College Library
>> robert.soulliere at mohawkcollege.ca
>> Telephone: 905 575 1212 x3936
>> Fax: 905 575 2011
>>
>> This E-mail contains privileged and confidential information intended
> [...]

Lori Bowen Ayre // Library Technology Consultant
The Galecia Group // www.galecia.com
(707) 763-6869 // Lori.Ayre at galecia.com

<Lori.Ayre at galecia.com>Specializing in open source ILS solutions, RFID,
filtering,
workflow optimization, and materials handling