[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Updating Attributions

Lori Bowen Ayre lori.ayre at galecia.com
Tue May 17 14:14:20 EDT 2011

If the source material is licensed, then isn't it more a matter of courtesy
than licensing to give them credit?

 I think giving credit where credit is due but it also doesn't seem
reasonable to spend a bunch of DIG time finding the source of material that
was never licensed in any way.  Of course determining it was NOT licensed is
an effort in and of itself.

Lori

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 10:36 AM, Soulliere, Robert <
robert.soulliere at mohawkcollege.ca> wrote:

> A few things to consider regarding more specific copyright statements:
>
> 1) This approach will require a lot of back tracking work and time to track
> down original sources, dates, and licenses of all the sources.
>
> 2) In many cases this information came from secondary sources so it is
> difficult to track down the original source of some information.
>
> 3) Some authors contributed work from a number of sources into one
> document. In some cases those authors may not be active in the DIG so it may
> be hard to get the information on sources where they got their information.
>
> 4) Perhaps we will need more parameters on what is a source which could
> stand on its own. For example, a lot of information was taken from pages on
> the wiki. Is each wiki page a stand alone entity?
>
> Admittedly, these problems are probably the result of a failure to
> establish a good set of rules, guidelines and practices early on in regards
> to copyright, citations, etc...
>
> To resolve this issue going forward, perhaps we need a new set of rules and
> policies indicating that any documentation included from other sources needs
> to have a attribution statement sent from the original source added to the
> attributions appendix before being included in the documentation?
>
> Perhaps we need another DIG position -- "copyright coordinator"?
>

> Regards,
> Robert
>

> Robert Soulliere, BA (Hons), MLIS
> Systems Librarian
> Mohawk College Library
> robert.soulliere at mohawkcollege.ca
> Telephone: 905 575 1212 x3936
> Fax: 905 575 2011

Lori Bowen Ayre // Library Technology Consultant
The Galecia Group // www.galecia.com
(707) 763-6869 // Lori.Ayre at galecia.com

<Lori.Ayre at galecia.com>Specializing in open source ILS solutions, RFID,
filtering,
workflow optimization, and materials handling