[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Updating Attributions

Soulliere, Robert robert.soulliere at mohawkcollege.ca
Tue May 17 13:36:39 EDT 2011

A few things to consider regarding more specific copyright statements:

1) This approach will require a lot of back tracking work and time to track down original sources, dates, and licenses of all the sources.

2) In many cases this information came from secondary sources so it is difficult to track down the original source of some information.

3) Some authors contributed work from a number of sources into one document. In some cases those authors may not be active in the DIG so it may be hard to get the information on sources where they got their information.

4) Perhaps we will need more parameters on what is a source which could stand on its own. For example, a lot of information was taken from pages on the wiki. Is each wiki page a stand alone entity?

Admittedly, these problems are probably the result of a failure to establish a good set of rules, guidelines and practices early on in regards to copyright, citations, etc...

To resolve this issue going forward, perhaps we need a new set of rules and policies indicating that any documentation included from other sources needs to have a attribution statement sent from the original source added to the attributions appendix before being included in the documentation?

Perhaps we need another DIG position -- "copyright coordinator"?

Regards,
Robert

Robert Soulliere, BA (Hons), MLIS
Systems Librarian