[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Test server for 2.1 (was: DIG Meeting Follow-up)

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Tue Sep 13 17:06:35 EDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 12:53:02PM -0700, Lori Bowen Ayre wrote:
> How many test servers do we need?
>
> Lori
>

> On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 11:34 AM, Wolf Halton <wolf.halton at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Y'all,
> >
> > Lyrasis would like to offer a pro bono test server for beta testing.
> > What are the resource requirements?
> >
> > Wolf

Well... as many as there are different and incompatible needs?

For example, Jeff Godin asked in the #evergreen channel today whether
there was a publicly available server offering the Template Toolkit OPAC
interface because he was interested in doing a performance comparison
between the JSPAC and the TPAC. The TPAC does not run on Evergreen 2.1,
so a "bleeding-edge" server that could be used for testing and early
documentation of features in development could be a useful contribution
to the community. Having it scripted so that it reinstalled itself with
a fresh checkout of OpenSRF and Evergreen and loaded a base set of data
would also serve as a nice early warning system.

Right now I think there's room for the following supported releases:

  * 1.6.1.x
  * 2.0.x

And the forthcoming next stable release:

  * 2.1.*

As well as the bleeding edge:

  * master

I can't guarantee that the servers would get tons of use; I concur with
Robert that many of us are running our own development environments -
but I do see a use case.