[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] release notes 2.2

James Keenan jkeenan at cwmars.org
Wed Jul 25 10:04:19 EDT 2012

Hi Sally,

Thanks! I think that changing “proscribed” to “prescribed” makes it clear. A cataloger is going to know what that means. I would like to think that, anyway.

If I might suggest the addition of a phrase to the last sentence: However, in Evergreen release 2.2, you can create customized control sets for authority records that will override the defaults, and you can define thesauri and authority fields for these control sets.

I may be showing my bias here but I think that anyone who is looking for guidance from this documentation on cataloging in Evergreen should have a pretty fair knowledge of cataloging to begin with. In the three sentences of paragraph 2.6.1, there are six specialized words or phrases that will only be meaningful to someone who already understands the territory (tags, subfields, authority record, control set, thesauri, authority fields).

I always question myself about how much end-user knowledge I can safely assume. I think, in this case, we can assume quite a bit.

Thanks so much for working on this documentation! ☺

Jim

Jim Keenan
Access Services Supervisor
jkeenan at cwmars.org<mailto:jkeenan at cwmars.org>
508-755-3323 x23

C/W MARS
67 Millbrook St., Suite 201
Worcester, MA 01606

P   Save a tree! Please don't print this e-mail unless it's really necessary.