[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] release notes 2.2

Sally Fortin sfortin at esilibrary.com
Tue Jul 24 09:40:42 EDT 2012

Hi Jim,

Thanks for catching that typo!  I had been thinking "prescribe," as in
writing a rule to be followed.  I'll take another look at that paragraph
and try to find a way to make the meaning clearer. Essentially, the idea
is that you can create an authority control set that defines for
Evergreen the tags and subfields that you want to appear in authority
records.

More documentation on authority control sets is available here and may
also be of interest to you:

http://www.esilibrary.com/esi/docs/?p=771

Thanks,
Sally

On 7/23/2012 2:31 PM, James Keenan wrote:
> Hi,
> I found this paragraph in the release notes for version 2.2.0 and I'm
> not sure what "proscribed" is supposed to mean here. (Emphasis below
> is mine.) None of the meanings that I know seem to fit the sentence.
> If "proscribed" is not the right word, what is the sentence trying to
> say? Does it mean that the authority records can be overridden by
> control sets?
> _http://evergreen-ils.org/documentation/release/RELEASE_NOTES_2_2_0.html_
> 2.6. Cataloging
> 2.6.1. Authority Control Sets
> *The tags and subfields that display in authority records in Evergreen
> are proscribed by control sets*. The Library of Congress control set
> is the default control set in all versions of Evergreen. However, in
> Evergreen release 2.2, you can create customized control sets for
> authority records, and you can define thesauri and authority fields
> for these control sets.
> Jim
> Jim Keenan
> Access Services Supervisor
> jkeenan at cwmars.org
> 508-755-3323 x23
> C/W MARS
> 67 Millbrook St., Suite 201
> Worcester, MA 01606
> ?   Save a tree! Please don't print this e-mail unless it's really
> necessary.

Sally Fortin
Director of Education
Equinox Software Inc. / Your Library's Guide to Open Source
Tel:    770-709-5572
Email:  sfortin at esilibrary.com
Fax:    1-866-497-6390