[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] PDF icon: licensing concern & fix

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Tue May 8 09:17:43 EDT 2012

Hi,

On May 8, 2012, at 8:39 AM, Soulliere, Robert wrote:
> I wonder if the Evergreen Oversight Board or Communications Committee could help us make the decision on the legality of using the images at KDE? I don't have a comfortable feeling about using it based on what I have read on the KDE site. However, if I get a thumbs up from the  Evergreen Oversight Board, then I would feel at ease and would use the image. Since the DIG had been using a questionable image for the past few years, I would like to be sure about the image choice. If there is any doubt, then I think we need to use the current safe PDF image currently in place.

Based on my reading of http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#ccbysa, I don't think that LGPL3-licensed images would be seamlessly compatible with a CC-BY-SA document.  I believe that at minimum, including the images in the documentation would also mean including the image source files in the Evergreen manual's Git repository and making sure that the top-level license file acknowledged the presence of GPL source images.

I don't think this is actually a bar to using the KDE icons if we wish, but I think it would be more convenient to find a suitable CC-SA or CC-BY-SA icon.

If the question is stilling pending by then, I'm happy to raise it at the next Oversight Board meeting, but ultimately I'd feel most comfortable if we get guidance from the SFC.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton