[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Learning GIT and need to know who can be available to merge my changes

Yamil Suarez ysuarez at berklee.edu
Fri May 30 17:22:45 EDT 2014

Erica,

Not long ago I was also trying to get a better handle on making DIG
contributions through DIG. I am still not an expert, but in the last
six months I have come a long way. For example, in the past I have
spoken to Git savvy DIG members, like Robert Soulliere and Remington
Steed, a few times about what approach I should take.

(For those reading along, I just want to state that using Git for DIG
submissions is completely optional. If you want to submit
documentation, be it new or updated docs, just email your work to the
DIG list. Though if you want to eventually learn how to contribute EG
code, I recommend using Git to submit documentation so you get some
good experience with Git.)

My suggestion to you, since you are wanting to use Git for your
submissions, is to is to create a new topic/temp branch on the working
repo when doing multiple fixes or additions to the documentation. If
the changes are related to the same doc section/EG concept, it makes
sense to use the same topic branch for all changes. I guess if you are
doing a bunch of small fixes from all over the docs, you can use a new
topic branch to keep all those changes together.

After you are done with pushing all the changes in your topic branch
to the working repo, I would just email the list with the name of the
branch and the basic URL to that branch for convenience. Like this
one...

http://git.evergreen-ils.org/?p=working/Evergreen.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/user/ericar/typo_fix_special_issue

Then one of us that have DIG Git access to the main repo can then push
it to the main repository. It does not hurt to also mention it in IRC,
since any developer could offer to push the change in the main repo,
but definitely email the DIG list.

BTW, you may want to consider asking to get access to push your own
commits straight into the main repo, once you have had enough practice
with pushing your topic branches to the working repo. That way you can
do it all yourself. That will entail learning some new Git tricks,
like cherry picking, but that can wait for now.

Was this helpful? Other DIG members might have different suggestions,
and I welcome hearing for them.

Good luck,
Yamil

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 3:33 PM, Erica Rohlfs <erohlfs at esilibrary.com> wrote:

> Good Afternoon DIG!
>
> Okay, I'm learning the next phase in submitting documentation. I am
> comfortable with baby steps, so I have pushed a minor edit. I would like to
> push a few more minor edits, before I push new docs. My question concerns
> how DIG handles minor fixes such as these. Do we just notify the EG channel
> in IRC? Or create a batch of minor fixes before alerting the DIG mailing
> list?
>
> My small change can be seen on
> http://git.evergreen-ils.org/?p=working/Evergreen.git;a=summary
>
> and it's user/ericar/typo_fix_special_issue
>
> As I become more comfortable with using GIT, I imagine this will not be a
> concern. However, for now it is. It would also be good to know the answer
> for others who are learning to be more active DIG participants.
>
> Thank you so much!
>
> Erica
>
> --
>
> Erica Rohlfs
> Education Librarian
> Equinox Software Inc. / The Open Source Experts
> Phone: 770-709-5572 | 1-877-OPEN-ILS (673-6457) x5572
> Email: erohlfs at esilibrary.com
> Web: http://www.esilibrary.com

Yamil Suarez, MCS
Library System Administrator/Developer