[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Local Added Content/external content

Lazar, Alexey Vladimirovich alexey.lazar at mnsu.edu
Thu Oct 16 17:56:08 EDT 2014

On 2014-10-14, at 13:33 , Josh Stompro <stomproj at exchange.larl.org> wrote:

> Hello, I was looking into the ability to add local book covers to the catalog after Jeff mentioned it on IRC , I found release notes mentioning that it was possible, but I didn’t find anything describing how to do it.

Hi, Josh.

I assume by local you probably mean images that for some reason could not be added or updated in OpenLibrary. Otherwise I certainly would recommend adding/updating covers in OpenLibrary whenever possible, since it’s open-access.

> Please take a look at the docs I created on how to add local added content.   Please fork it and send me the link if you want to make any changes.  Then I’ll submit a github pull request to submit it.
> https://gist.github.com/stompro/b2a61f21317d06c3c3d7

I haven’t tested, but just reading through - it’s easy to follow and understand the instructions. Minor typo under "Create 3 different sized versions of the image in png or jpg format” the third bullet item “large” should be “Large”. I didn’t think there was a need to fork just for this typo.

> I think this would go at the bottom of this page in the docs, even though that is for external content, I don’t think there is a better place to put it.
> http://docs.evergreen-ils.org/2.7/_including_external_content_in_your_public_interface.html

I think practically speaking you’re right, unless a separate section is added, e.g., <http://docs.evergreen-ils.org/2.7/_local_added_content.html> immediately following <http://docs.evergreen-ils.org/2.7/_including_external_content_in_your_public_interface.html>. Local content does not quite fit into the definition of ”external”, but I don’t think that it matters fundamentally.

BTW, have you tested what happens if you use an external provider and then plaster a local image using the same id for which there is already an image from the external provider? Does local take precedence over external?

Aleksey Lazar
IS Developer and Integrator - PALS
http://www.mnpals.org/