[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Local Added Content/external content

Lazar, Alexey Vladimirovich alexey.lazar at mnsu.edu
Wed Oct 29 18:00:00 EDT 2014

On 2014-10-20, at 09:45 , Josh Stompro <stomproj at exchange.larl.org> wrote:

>>> I assume by local you probably mean images that for some reason could not be added or updated in OpenLibrary. Otherwise I certainly would recommend
>>> adding/updating covers in OpenLibrary whenever possible, since it's open-access.
>
> By local I mean locally hosted, I think it is up to each site to decide on their reasons for using it.  You do bring up a good point about OpenLibrary, but that only works if you are using the OpenLibrary provider.  Since the added content code only handles one provider right now, those using Syndetics or Content Café don't have the option of adding content to the providers system.  Or maybe they do?

I sort of thought unless a library was paying for added content, they would already be using OpenLibrary. As far as paid providers, my guess is someone from the library would just open a ticket with the provider if there is a problem.

> Maybe it would be good to add a note to the docs to encourage OpenLibrary contributions?  "If you are adding jacket artwork that you have scanned locally, consider adding it to OpenLibrary.org also so others can benefit."  I'll add something to see how it fits.

Personally, I would see no harm having that tip somewhere in the local content section, but there may be reasons why it shouldn’t be. Maybe Yamil or others have an opinion.

Aleksey Lazar
IS Developer and Integrator - PALS
http://www.mnpals.org/