[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Local Added Content/external content

Yamil Suarez ysuarez at berklee.edu
Wed Oct 29 18:25:58 EDT 2014

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 6:00 PM, Lazar, Alexey Vladimirovich
<alexey.lazar at mnsu.edu> wrote:

> I sort of thought unless a library was paying for added content, they would already be using OpenLibrary. As far as paid providers, my guess is someone from the library would just open a ticket with the provider if there is a problem.

In my case, I on occasion open tickets with Syndetics when there is a
cover that is showing the wrong image. Also, in my library we have
recording of college events, both audio and video, that are not
commercially released. Therefore, we would like to configure these
bibs to show a custom cover image that we don't plan to send to
Syndetics, though I am not sure if they would want it anyway.

>> Maybe it would be good to add a note to the docs to encourage OpenLibrary contributions?  "If you are adding jacket artwork that you have scanned locally, consider adding it to OpenLibrary.org also so others can benefit."  I'll add something to see how it fits.
>
> Personally, I would see no harm having that tip somewhere in the local content section, but there may be reasons why it shouldn’t be. Maybe Yamil or others have an opinion.

I think that tip should be fine, though we may want to mention that
they should follow any rules or guidelines that OpenLibrary hopefully
has for following copyright law, etc. I would not want to list the
suggestions since they might change, just mentioning that some should
exist.

For the record, here is the text that Josh is proposing  to be added
concerning submitting covers to OpenLibrary...

http://git.evergreen-ils.org/?p=working/Evergreen.git;a=commitdiff;h=6a19b8133eeef07feffc75c8731ef65c5a25165f

[NOTE]
If you are adding jacket art for a traditional type of media
(book, CD, DVD) consider adding the jacket art to the openlibrary.org
project instead of hosting it locally.  This would allow other
libraries to benefit from your work.

Any thoughts?

Thanks Josh (and Alexey),
Yamil