[OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] Local Added Content/external content

Lazar, Alexey Vladimirovich alexey.lazar at mnsu.edu
Thu Oct 30 10:53:34 EDT 2014

On 2014-10-29, at 17:25 , Yamil Suarez <ysuarez at berklee.edu> wrote:

>>> Maybe it would be good to add a note to the docs to encourage OpenLibrary contributions?  "If you are adding jacket artwork that you have scanned locally, consider adding it to OpenLibrary.org also so others can benefit."  I'll add something to see how it fits.
>>
>> Personally, I would see no harm having that tip somewhere in the local content section, but there may be reasons why it shouldn’t be. Maybe Yamil or others have an opinion.
>>

> I think that tip should be fine, though we may want to mention that
> they should follow any rules or guidelines that OpenLibrary hopefully
> has for following copyright law, etc. I would not want to list the
> suggestions since they might change, just mentioning that some should
> exist.

My thought is it let that be between OpenLibrary and their users. During signup, they have a checkbox for agreeing to terms and conditions which are fairly straightforward, as those things go.

> For the record, here is the text that Josh is proposing  to be added
> concerning submitting covers to OpenLibrary...
>
> http://git.evergreen-ils.org/?p=working/Evergreen.git;a=commitdiff;h=6a19b8133eeef07feffc75c8731ef65c5a25165f
>
> [NOTE]
> If you are adding jacket art for a traditional type of media
> (book, CD, DVD) consider adding the jacket art to the openlibrary.org
> project instead of hosting it locally.  This would allow other
> libraries to benefit from your work.
>
> Any thoughts?

Good. My only thought is the note could be placed at the very bottom of the section, as it is somewhat peripheral to the main documentation topic.

Thanks, Josh and Yamil.

Aleksey Lazar
IS Developer and Integrator - PALS
http://www.mnpals.org/