[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Greetings -- I have a question...

Kevin Riggle kevinr at mit.edu
Sat Dec 30 04:29:49 EST 2006

I'm not qualified to offer an opinion on the use of Evergreen, but I
will point out two existing things that might fit your needs, if only
for comparison purposes.  (I've used neither of these, nor am I
associated with them in any way -- I just know that they exist.)

LibraryThing (http://www.librarything.com/) is a Web service which
lets you put your personal library online -- it pulls bibliographic
data out of Amazon, the Library of Congress, and a few other places,
so getting the data into the system is likely much easier for
nontechnical users than with Evergreen.  I'm not sure if it lets you
manage checkouts, however.  It seems to be free up to a certain number
of items entered into the system and then relatively cheap after that,
but each home "library" would likely want its own account.

Delicious Library (http://www.delicious-monster.com/) is a program
which appears to do similar things -- most definitely including
managing checkouts.  It's grabbing cataloging information off the Web
too, so input is nice.  It's Mac-only, as far as I can tell, which
might be a problem.  If each home library needed a Mac and a copy of
the software (maybe you could wrangle an educational discount?), it
would get *expensive*, but if you could do it all from one system it
would be more reasonable.

Good luck!

- Kevin

--