[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] RE: Open-ils-general Digest, Vol 10, Issue 2

Fitzgerald, Carol Carol_Fitzgerald at nrel.gov
Thu Apr 5 14:14:32 EDT 2007

Jason, I'm an MLS who ended up being the systems person, by default, and
have been serving in that position for more than 5 years.  Open source
alternatives have been looking more attractive, since S/D dropped the
unwelcome Horizon/Unicorn/Rome news.  Currently, we are a Horizon ASP
customer.  I've been wondering if anyone is seeing a niche market there:
open source suppport + server/storage services?

I'm very glad you asked about academic and special libraries' needs--we
are a small national laboratory library and our users (scientists,
engineers, and administrative support staff) are more like those of an
academic library.  Our researchers are also able to check out a large
portion of our collection for as long as they need them (and can recall
items that others have had for at least 30 days).  In our previous ILS
and now in Horizon, we've never had a good way to handle that policy.
We often have overdues that aren't valid show up in the system.

However, we are different from both academic and public in several ways:

1.  We do not fine our users for overdue items.  We don't need any of
the code that's written to handle fines.  Horizon has created some
hassles by blocking checkouts and not allowing us to simply delete the
fine.

2.  We circulate individual print serial issues (we do not bind issues).
Which also means that we barcode individual issues.

We also need acquisitions and serials modules, though more and more of
our serials subscriptions are for electronic only.  I often wish for a
system that could check to be sure an issue is posted and accessible
(versus the traditional, "received in library")!

We are also interested in ease of data migration (since we just went
through that in Fall 2005).  Our data is (finally!) in MARC, about
40,000 bibs plus a very large set of authority records.

We are very interested in LDAP or an equivalent standard:  patron
recognition from initial login to the LAN would be very helpful to our
researchers.

Carol Fitzgerald
Library
National Renewable Energy Laboratory