[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Re: interest in Evergreen

Chris Hirt cjh8 at calvin.edu
Thu Apr 5 13:57:28 EDT 2007

Hi all,

Brad - thanks for the prod for some of us to stop lurking and acknowledge our
membership in this list.  I expect that Evergreen and Koha mailing lists will
see a steady increase in subscribers following recent shake-ups involving
SirsiDynix.  The Hekman Library at Calvin College in Grand Rapids, MI runs
SirsiDynix Unicorn GL 3.1 but we're starting to open our eyes a bit to what
other options are out there.  From what I've heard and read, Rome (SirsiDynix's
latest idea) is basically a repackaged GL 3.2 with some extra features they
couldn't not include from Horizon/Corinthian.  I'm hear on this list basically
to see what it will take to get a test instance of evergreen up and running -
and I know there are probably 100 of us thinking the same thing.

My background is in computer science and I have been the Library Systems
Programmer here for almost 3 years.  I'm very interested in open-source and
have dabbled in contributing (very minorly) to a few other open-source
projects.  I really want to see systems like Evergreen and Koha succeed and
become easy to use, easy to setup, and competitive products to what the current
paid-for ILS market offers.  That's always the challenge with this type of
effort.  Imagine what could happen if 100 libraries around the world committed
their ILS ear-marked support money to hiring a full-time open-source ILS
developer contributing to the project and developing for the library's needs?
That would be amazing.

I'd don't know if my exploration of Evergreen will amount to any actual bug
fix contributions (although that would be nice) but it seems that regardless of
what my library decides to do, I believe the conditions are very right for a
"perfect storm" in the ILS world, one that will offer an open-source ILS (or
two or three?) the opportunity to leap ahead of its current state and become a
real alternative to the traditional ILS vendors.

Go open-source!  Go Evergreen!

- Chris Hirt
Library Systems Programmer
Hekman Library - Calvin College