academic libraries Re: [OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] 226 subscribers

David J. Fiander djfiander at fastmail.fm
Mon Apr 9 08:54:53 EDT 2007

Jason,

There are a couple of possible situations.  In the case of bound journals,
there are multiple distinct items all linked to a single bib record.

The other, rarer case, is when two bibliographically distinct items are
bound together (if you're into old-school science fiction, think "Ace
Double", for a simple example).  There are several different ways of
recording such a beast, but there's usually a "main" title, and an added
record for the "bound with" title.  This was probably actually easier to
display in the old print card catalogue that with most modern catalogues.

(Similar sorts of documents appear frequently in multilingual countries,
where a document and it's translation into the other official language will
be bound together, but that's a bit easier to cope with, since the two
documents are just different manifestations of the same work.)

Might that be what you're thinking of?

--
David J. Fiander
Digital Services Librarian