[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Introduction - new installation

Don McMorris don.mcmorris at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 19:45:49 EDT 2007

Hey Larry:

Jason mentions Z39.50 for importing bibliographic records.  This is
pretty close to being as simple as scanning an ISBN and importing it.
The Library of Congress maintains a very large free Z39.50 database.
Also, if you have an ILS in place as it is (South Carolina zapped a
good part of my memory! ;)), it may also have a Z39.50 server that you
_should_ be able to use to import records individually using Evergreen
as a Z39.50 client.

After setting up your Z39.50 target in Evergreen[1], a "typical"
workflow for importing bibliographic records may look like this:
-> In the staff client, choose "Cataloging" and "Import Record from Z39.50"
-> Enter your ISBN in the appropriate field[2]
-> Import the bib
-> Make any changes to reflect your organizations standards (IE:
delete unused[3] fields? Add pricing and pages?)
-> Save the bib
-> Attach item records to the bib

This is a workflow your cataloging staff may use.  Generally speaking,
it probably would be less than ideal to migrate from an existing ILS
using this method (unless you have a very small collection).  In these
cases, you will need to find a way to export your bib/holding database
from your existing ILS into Evergreen.  Depending on how compliant
your ILS is to the MARC standard, this could be very easy or it could
require a little bit of work.

Hope this helps!
--Don, N2FX

[1] Z39.50 targets are set up in your configuration files.  If your
existing ILS doesn't follow the de facto standard that is used by the
LOC and OCLC, you will need to find what fields translate to what in
your ILS documentation or from your ILS vendor.

[2] Many of the EAN barcodes on the backs of most books are identical
to the ISBN-13 (equivalent) of that particular book.  As such, this
could make it slightly easier to "key" in the ISBN number.  However,
the remote Z39.50 server may not have many ISBN-13 records, or may not
support ISBN-13 at all.

[3] Unused fields: An example might be if your library uses Dewey
classification, it may want to remove the LC classification numbers
from the bib.

On 4/9/07, Larry Levesque <ka1vgm at levektronix.com> wrote:
<Snip>
> Maybe I am missing something but is there a way to scan a bunch of ISBN and import them into the program from a web grab of info / MARC record?
>
> Thanks for all the help.
>
> Larry Levesque
>    KA1VGM
> www.levektronix.com