API documentation, Re: [OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] RE: Introduction - new installation

Jason Etheridge jasone at georgialibraries.org
Thu Apr 12 17:24:56 EDT 2007

On 4/12/07, vijay chopra <vjchopra at gmail.com> wrote:
> As I mentioned in my previous post to the list, I have a background in
> software, now my coding skills (outside of xhtml\javascript) probably aren't
> good enough to work on the code side of Evergreen, but I'd happily donate
> time to document said code. In fact I was always good at that side of
> things, along with the analysis, design and testing. but my poor coding was
> the reason I moved away from software and into this other area of
> information professionalism. If this offer is better off on the developer
> list please say.

Hey Vijay, I'm cross-posting this to -DEV (and we'll probably want to
move the discussion over there completely).  We'll definitely take you
up on your offer!  I was planning to start a thread on API for a
cataloging vendor, but this one will work well enough. :D

I'll be spending my spare time on this, and it'll likely require that
you to delve into the source code and ask lots of questions, but I'll
help however I can.

Here is a good place to start:
http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=mozilla-devel:birds_eye_view

Methods published in OpenSRF are associated with
services/applications.  There's an interface that allows some
introspection; here's an example:
http://dev.gapines.org/opac/extras/docgen.xsl?service=open-ils.cat&all=on&offset=0&limit=25

Here are some related blog entries:
http://open-ils.org/blog/?p=41
http://open-ils.org/blog/?p=46

And here's a REST example using the API:
http://dev.gapines.org/gateway?format=xml&service=open-ils.search&method=opensrf.system.echo&param=%22hello%20world%22

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help in the short term.

Thanks!

--
Jason Etheridge
GPLS -- PINES Development