[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Straw poll: preferred Linux distributions for VMWare images?

Edward Corrado corrado at tcnj.edu
Mon Apr 16 18:30:34 EDT 2007

> I've created a quick list of likely distributions below. I've pointed
> to the latest stable  (or soon to be stable) versions because
> Evergreen has some pretty leading edge requirements. I left commercial
> distributions off the list because we probably wouldn't be able to
> redistribute the images, and I for one don't have access to the
> commercial distros. I've also left off non-Linux operating systems
> because reports from Solaris and *BSD so far suggest that's more of a
> porting effort for Evergreen than simply an install.
>
> Feel free to recommend other distros if you have a preference.
>
> * CentOS 5 (server distribution built from the source RPMs for Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux 5, minus any copyrighted images or text)
> * Debian 4.0 "Etch" (latest stable release of Debian, same distro used
> by GPLS PINES)
> * Fedora Core 7 (community distro sponsored by Red Hat that eventually
> feeds into RHEL, FC 6 seems to be used by a number of people on the
> list, but FC 7 is due at the end of May)
> * Ubuntu 7.04 "Feisty" (final release due any day now, almost a year
> newer than 6.06 Dapper)
> * OpenSUSE 10.2 (community distribution by Novell that eventually
> feeds into SUSE Linux Enterprise Server)

Personally, I like Mandriva, but I guess my vote is for Debian Etch. I say
that because it is what PINES is running on, and I'd prefer to run it/test
it on what they use in production. As someone else alluded to if you are
going to do a redhat type distro, CentOS seems like a better choice then
Fedora because of the release schedule.

Edward