[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Late Bloomer

Don McMorris don.mcmorris at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 21:14:01 EDT 2007

Hello!

The great thing about Open Source is, you can change it as you need!
If you find your patrons need a different interface, you can make it!
You aren't locked in to a proprietary design that has minimal
customizability. If you so desire, you can freely create a whole new
PAC without (intellectual property) restriction! Heck, if you wanted
to, you could run several PACs (say, one that's extremely easy to use,
one that's "typical", and one for "power users").

Also, keep in mind that because you can download, administer, and
support your own install, you aren't forced to! If you DO want to take
it on yourself, there is plenty of free help on our mailing lists and
in our IRC chat rooms (#OpenILS-Evergreen on Freenode).  But, if you
want the peace-of-mind that comes with an expert on a retainer, there
are companies that will support Evergreen professionally.  And, if you
don't want to worry about anything, some companies will even host
Evergreen for you and take call of all the back-end (all you have to
worry about are your records!).

I personally look forward to your contributions! I'm sure there are
many others who are also.  I just want to take this opportunity to
reiterate some of the many ways contributions can be made (there's a
LOT more than just code!).  One example is the Wiki
(http://www.open-ils.org/dokuwiki/).  Development is so rapid that the
documentation will occasionally fall behind.
If you're a "techie" but not a programmer, try installing Evergreen a
few times.  Installation is probably the most difficult part of
Evergreen, and the more people providing feedback on it will mean a
better installer.
Just USE Evergreen! If you spot something wrong, let us know! Maybe
something doesn't quite work the way you think it should? Perhaps
there's something that could be improved? Just drop us a line!
Have a good memory? Keep an eye on the mailing lists.  It's fairly
common on many discussion lists to get repetitive questions.  If you
recognize a repeat and remember when/where you probably saw it,
mention it!

When it comes to these lists, please Be Bold everybody! You aren't
proposing marriage... you're asking a question or making a comment!
There's no stupid questions, and there's nothing to fear.

Thanks for your input Heidi (and sorry I deviated a little bit to make
a broadcast!).  Looking forward to working with you on the lists in
the future.

--Don